Monday, November 4, 2013

About Me

Hi , thank you for stopping by. My name is Fajer, I am a medical doctor ( MD) with great interest in health promotion, healthy food and healthy life style. I am a wife and a mother of 2 adorable kids based in Massachusetts, USA.

I have decided to take some time off from my medical profession and spend time at home to take care of my children. I wanted to raise my kids all by my self, no nannies , no baby sitter. I am a firm believer that the job of being a mother is a great and a sacred one . We should honor our role and do it right, the way it meant to be.

Few years ago , around 2008, I felt very bad toward eating animals flesh especially red meat and poultry . The idea of converting to a vegetarian or vegan was evolving in my mind. I was an on-off vegetarian for years. When you have kids at home it becomes very difficult to adhere strictly to a vegetarian/ Vegan diet. However I became very determined over the years to stick to a healthy diet and I was able to separate the menu. I cooked 2 meals almost every day, one for the grown up and one for the kids.

On the beginning of 2013 , I came a cross an article published in the New England Journal of Medicine ( NEJM) emphasizing about the great health benefits of adapting a Mediterranean diet and how doing so would decrease the risk of developing heart diseases, hypertension and Diabetes. I was intrigued by this new buzz diet so I looked it up and I found that this diet is mainly based on plants food ( fresh vegetables , fresh fruits, beans, raw nuts , raw seed and olive oil ) and then something clicked, I have finally found the diet that suites my life style. Although this diet support the consumption of poultry and red meat, I personally don't consume them and you won't find any recipes  involving chicken or meat in this blog.

Occasionally I would eat fish or shrimps once a week . Seafood are high in Omega3 ( a known healthy fatty acid that would protect against heart attack and stroke) and the Mediterranean diet strongly support the consumption of seafood twice a week due to their great health benefits.

The recipes in this blog would please anybody , carnivorous, vegetarian, vegans, kids friendly and HUSBAND approved . I mean, who's  in the world does not love warm pita bread dipped in yummy creamy savory hummus.

Love and peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment